Exterior handy hint step #1
- Take your time
- Consider the design, age, and size. If your home is older honour the past and use heritage paint colours or spice it up and dramatize architectural detail – sometimes it’s wise to invest in a colour designer.
- Consider the surface of your exterior. Some colours look fab on a plaster finish but not on weatherboards.
- Read magazines, make a scrap book, choose what makes you feel great every time you arrive home.
- Go for a Sunday walk in your neighbourhood, take a camera and take a photo of what you like.
- Borrow from nature – think about the year round colours in your garden.
Exterior handy hint Step #2
- Check your roof – if you love the colour & it doesn’t need a paint make sure you consider it.
- Look and allow for things like brick work that won’t be painted.
- Pick out the best features – this may be your front door, gables or posts you may end up with 3 – 5 colours.
- Discover colour families.
- Use light to paint colours to add size, go dark for drama (front door, sills) but consider symmetry.
- Find inspiration in your home – colours in your interior will guide you to an exterior colour, one of your goals is to create flow and harmonize.
Exterior handy hint Step #3
- Check out paint finishes – matt, semi gloss and gloss – the sheen level can take your house from flat and lifeless to smooth, shiny and sexy.
- Call us with your test pot colours and we’ll pick them up, deliver and paint on your walls
- Look at the colour throughout the day – colours and sheen levels can appear different in differing light
- End result – your house oozes street appear and most of all you love it!
Take a look at our Interior Painting Tips or get a Free Painting Quote